Sunday 7 November 2010

Sushi

Sushi has become a gigantic hit everywhere, especially in the big cities. I myself can't resist and very often can be found at lunch tucking into spider rolls and sashimi. I couldn't resist doing a post on this because, in actual fact, my yiayia is totally not convinced ;) However, my pappou is one hundred percent backing the sushi movement so maybe there is some conflict there!



So far, the best Japanese restaurant that I have had the pleasure of visiting was Donzoko in Kingly street, London, UK. From the outside it doesn't look anything special, but it is special. If you ever get the chance then make sure you visit this jewel of a place. What I like about this place is that it is not trying to be fancy, not trying to be posh, not trying to be fashionable. It is just really good food and also popular with Japanese people themselves (which is always a good sign). 



Over the last couple of years I have made sushi on a few occasions (image above). I love the delicacy and the way it looks so beautiful when it is all laid out on the table. Last year l and also attended a Japanese festival to see the experts at work and took part in a sushi making class (result in image below). 

The earliest form of sushi was funa-zushi, originally from Shiga and made with salted fish. Through the simplification of this process, sushi evolved into what it is today. Sushi is surprisingly easy to prepare. There are a number of different varieties e.g sushi rolls, scattered sushi, hand rolled sushi, boat sushi and pressed sushi. My favourite fillings are crab, salmon roe. Below are a few useful terms to know if you are a sushi fan. 

Maki-zushi = rolled sushi
Oshi -zushi = pressed sushi
Hako-zushi = box sushi
Chirashi-zushi = scattered sushi
Inari-zushi = stuffed sushi
Nigiri (or edomae)-zushi = rice 'finger' with a slice of raw fish on top
Hangiri (or sushi-oke) = mixing bowl made from bamboo
Makisu = sushi roll mat
Oshi waku = box used for pressed sushi

Soon I will do another feature on sushi and include some recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment